I’ve been on a secret mission, and I haven’t wanted to tell anyone in my family – I am refusing to turn on the heating until after Nov 1. Ssh, don’t let them know…
Luckily, the weather has been cooperating, mostly, and we’re away on holiday at the end of the month. Last year’s heating bill was so outrageously high that we have just this month finished paying it off. To top that off, our energy tariffs have also gone up this year. Our budget has been squeezed to the max recently, and I honestly don’t know where more money is going to come from. So, the heating stays off until after Nov 1.
But how to stay warm…
1. Sweaters, socks, and long sleeves. Repeat.
2. Lots of hot tea, black or herbal, doesn’t matter
3. Hot chocolate, even for the adults
4. Big blankets for sitting around in the evening and early morning
5. Shutting the blinds as soon as the sun starts to go down
6. Closing off rooms (this really helps)
7. If absolutely necessary, turning on one of our portable radiators for 15 minutes to take the frost out of the morning
I wish our landlord would insulate the loft and cavity walls, which would significantly help, but it doesn’t look like it’s going to happen, even if we paid for it. Still, you make do with what you have and hope that the really dreary cold rain holds off until November…