Daughter was in need of a new pair of slippers, so I decided to use some charity shop yarn to make her a pair. I considered several different patterns before settling on a Mrs. Sew and Sew pattern in one of my nostalgia books.
I cast on 53 stitches on to US size 6 needles and knitted three rows in a garter stitch. Then I decreased the next row by one stitch at each end, and maintained the row after that, repeating until I had 45 stitches. Then I decreased each row by a stitch at each end until I had 29 stitches. Then I moss stitched five rows and cast off in moss stitch.
I had to fudge the bottoms, since the pattern called for cardboard or something, so I cast on 10 stitches on to US needles, and worked four rows in rib stitch. Then continuing in rib, I cast on 2 stitches at the beginning of each new row until I had 18 stitches. I knitted until the length matched the folded upper, and then started to decrease each row by knitting two together at each end until I had 10 stitches again.
To piece, I knitted the upper together with the seam at the front, and left the seam open at the moss stitch. Working on the wrong side, I attached the rounded toe end of the bottom to the upper, working my way alternately on each side (to maintain evenness) until I got to the flap at the heel. Finally, I stitched the flap on to the upper as a reinforcement, and turned them right side out.
Here is Daughter modelling them (or one, rather).
I am pleased with how these slippers turned out, and they came together in only four nights of knitting in front of the tv, so they were quite quick. I am not sure how long they will last, but my feeling is they will probably hold together until Daughter grows out of them.